Scottish Affairs Committee
Power Outages And Extreme Weather Conditions In The West Of Scotland
HC 484, Eleventh Report of Session 2013-14 - Report, Together with Formal Minutes, Oral and Written Evidence
- House of Commons - Scottish Affairs Committee
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
The report 'Power Outages And Extreme Weather Conditions In The West Of Scotland (HC 484) colncludes that he local authority and power company response to the severe weather of 2013 in Kintyre, Arran and Wigtownshire shows that important lessons have been learned and improvements put in place.
The report's conclusions include:
emergency plans should prioritise accessing mobile phone base stations to restore lost signals;
the A83 is a vital artery for the Kintyre peninsula and the decision to upgrade it to a trunk road is an important one, as this will allow the resources of Transport Scotland to be deployed to keep it open during extreme weather conditions;
the new Hunterston-Kintyre transmission line will mean there will be two transmission lines serving the Kintyre peninsula, so the failure of one of the lines will not see Kintyre & Arran cut off from the power network; and
caring for vulnerable members of the community is another statutory responsibility of local authorities.
Local authorities have done a great deal of work to expand their databases and identify those who are in need but councils should also do more to support the community groups that are engaging local people in the process of caring for the vulnerable.
|Format||Paperback||Published||14 May 2014|
|Availability||Colour copy: 3 - 5 days||Delivery||Delivery options and charges|
Find similar publications here:
- Society > TSO Scotland
- Society > Legislation - UK, England & Wales > House of Commons Papers
- Society > Parliamentary > Scotland
- Society > Parliamentary > Select Committees
- Society > Legislation - Scotland > Central Government
- Society > Legislation - UK, England & Wales > Commons Select Committees
- Legislation - UK, England & Wales > Commons Select Committees > Scottish Affairs Committee