The Referendum On Separation For Scotland: The Need For Truth
HC 828, Second Report of Session 2013-14 -Report, Together with Formal Minutes
- House of Commons - Scottish Affairs Committee
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
In the report 'The Referendum On Separation For Scotland: The Need For Truth (HC 828)' published ahead of the expected White Paper on Separation, the Scottish Affairs Committee says that the Scottish Government must meet high standards of accuracy and openness and avoid any risk of using public money to promote a party political agenda.
Any document that is produced as a Government White Paper must meet the highest standards of accuracy and clarity, and must be totally honest about the risks, alternative possible scenarios and costs involved in Separation. The Committee is concerned that the Scottish Government has shown a propensity to mislead Scottish voters on the likely outcome of some of the negotiations that would be needed for the final Separation agreement, as well as the timescale on which this could be achieved.
Many important questions such as EU membership or the currency, have to be negotiated with the UK Government and others, and the White Paper cannot simply claim that the Scottish National Party will get whatever they want. It must lay out all the alternative scenarios that might actually emerge from these negotiations together with their consequences.
Particular uncertainties highlighted by the Committee include:
membership of the EU;
public services; and
taxation and pensions.
|Format||Paperback||Published||15 Nov 2013|
|Availability||Colour copy: 3 - 5 days||Delivery||Delivery options and charges|
Find similar publications here:
- Society > TSO Scotland
- Society > Legislation - UK, England & Wales > House of Commons Papers
- Society > Parliamentary > Scotland
- Society > Parliamentary > Select Committees
- Society > Legislation - Scotland > Central Government
- Society > Legislation - Scotland > Social Security & Insurance
- Society > Legislation - UK, England & Wales > Commons Select Committees
- Legislation - UK, England & Wales > Commons Select Committees > Scottish Affairs Committee