The Highways Agency is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport.
- manages, maintains and improves the network of trunk roads and motorways in England on behalf of the Secretary of State; and
- works closely with other transport operators and local authorities to integrate the trunk road network with the rest of England's roads and other forms of transport.
The Highways Agency provides technical information for contractors producing the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and the Manual of Contract Documents for Highways Works (MCHW).
Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB)
DMRB provides a comprehensive manual system which accommodates all current standards, advice notes and other documents relating to the design, assessment and operation of trunk roads and motorways.
2 General Guidance: Part 3 GD 04/12 Standard for Safety Risk Assessment on the
Strategic Road Network
1 Publication procedure: Part 1 DMRB: Volume Contents Pages and Alpha-Numeric
1 Approval Procedures. Part 1 BD 2/12 Technical Approval of Highway
4 Assessment. Part 18 The management of sub-standard highway structures. BD
Manual of Contracts Documents for Highway Works (MCHW)
MCHW consists of several parts which include the administrative
procedures for its use, the Specification for Highways Works and its
corresponding Method Measurement. It incorporates the requirements of the
European Commission which are mandatory for all Public Procurement
Click here for more information on MCHW volumes
There are no recent updates.
Standards for Highway Works CD-ROM
This CD-ROM contains:
- the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) Volumes 1-15
- the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCHW) Volumes 1-6
- the Trunk Road Maintenance Manual (TRMM) Volumes 1-3
- the Routine Maintenance Manual (RMSS)
Available by annual subscription, this CD-ROM is updated quarterly by the Highways Agency and is published in tandem with updates to the printed editions.