Copyright & Trade Mark Licensing
The Best Management Practice products have been created on behalf of the Cabinet Office, part of Her Majesty's Government (HMG) in the United Kingdom which owns the embodied intellectual property. Copyright of these products is therefore owned by the Crown and re-use of any of the material contained in our publications or products will require a Crown copyright licence.
Re-use of Best Management Practice Products are governed by three licensing schemes - a Copyright Licensing scheme, a Trade Mark licensing scheme and a Combined Trade Mark and Copyright Licensing scheme. These schemes consist of a 'two step' licensing process in which a development licence is issued to grant authority to develop a product. After a successful review of the product, a full licence is issued.
Further information on the copyright licensing scheme can be found in the Crown copyright licensing scheme - 'Two Step' licence section. If you wish to use one of our trade marks, for example in a commercial product then you will probably need a trade mark licence. Should you wish to use copyrighted material in conjunction with a trade mark, then the combined trade mark and copyright licensing scheme is available. Both these schemes are administered by our partner APM Group. More details on this can be found in the Trade Marks section.
Our copyright licensing scheme is regulated by The Office of Public Sector Information, part of The National Archives, and we are Information Fair Trader Scheme (IFTS) approved. The IFTS scheme is designed to provide greater access and availability of public sector data. The benefits of IFTS can be greater transparency of public sector activity which can lead to improved performance.
For more information about the IFTS scheme please visit www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/ifts.htm
As Best Management Practice Products are traded globally, our copyright licensing scheme also complies with UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) office advice for UK government bodies. The UKTI will offer advice regarding trading with countries deemed to be a potential risk. For more information about the UKTI visit http://www.ukti.gov.uk/home.html
Crown copyright licensing scheme - 'Two Step' licence
In December 2011 Cabinet Office introduced a new Crown copyright licensing scheme for the Best Management Practice material. The scheme is now a two step process (PDF - 1.95Mb), consisting of a 'Development Licence' and a 'Full Licence'. A development licence gives the applicant permission to develop a product with Crown copyright material. A full licence gives the applicant permission to use the product and/or release it into the public domain. There may be a charge for the granting of a full licence, which is calculated by the amount of material used and how it is used.
Initially, you will be required to complete a copyright application form (MS Word - 50Kb) where we assess against our licensing criteria and to ensure we have all the information we need. We will then issue a development licence which will grant authority for you to develop your product with our material. From the point of issue of the development licence, you will have 180 days in which to submit the final product for review. Once we receive the product for review we will complete the review process within 20 working days. If the product fulfils our licensing criteria then a full licence will be granted and a separate full licence will be issued. This process will also be applied to our Trade Mark licensing scheme (details below), which is administered by APM Group on our behalf.
The links below will provide you with information about our licences including whether there will be a charge for your use of the material. Information on various charges and licensing principles is provided, which also includes circumstances where we would refuse to licence. We have also added a link to our licensing guidelines which provide general advice and guidance on the use of Crown copyright material.
We would like to hear from you if you have suggestions for creative and innovative new products or if you have ideas about new approaches to the re-use of Crown copyright material which may be in terms of different physical formats or intellectual structure and presentation of the information. A feedback form (MS Word 50Kb) is provided to enable you to send your ideas to us and can also be used to provide feedback on the service you have received.
- Charging document (MS Word - 92.5Kb)
- Copyright application form (MS Word - 50Kb)
- Copyright licence criteria (MS Word - 38Kb)
- Licensing Guidelines (MS Word - 75.5Kb)
- Length of licence (MS Word - 25.5Kb)
- IP FAQs
- Feedback form (MS Word - 45.5Kb)
- IFTS info
- Complaint process
- Two Step Trade Mark and Copyright Licensing Scheme leaflet (PDF - 1.5Mb)
If you can't find the answer to your query or require any further information about our copyright licences, please contact the Efficiency and Reform Group Service Desk, Cabinet Office - T: 0845 000 4999, E: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1.You may use Cabinet Office's Best Management Practice word marks in a descriptive sense in any media to identify Cabinet Office's products provided that you do not:
- Use the marks without the correct acknowledgement statement and symbology, please refer to Annex, at the first instance of usage;
- Incorporate any such marks into a business, service or product name;
- Connect your company, product or service name in any way to such marks;
- Use the marks in any way that suggests a more general meaning (e.g. Use of "ITIL" to describe IT Service Management more generally is incorrect use. ITIL should only be used to describe Cabinet Office's proprietary form of IT service management);
- Use the marks in a way that is derogatory (to be determined at Cabinet Office's sole discretion);
- Change the marks in any way;
- Use the marks as a hyperlink;
- Use the marks in any way so as to suggest an association with the Cabinet Office, its partners or its products and services;
- Use the marks in the title or sub-title of any product in any media in a manner not consistent with honest commercial practices; and
- Use the marks in any way so as to suggest any official endorsement by the Cabinet Office.
2. If you wish to use the Cabinet Office's Best Management Practice related marks in a product or service (other than covered by 1 above) then you will require a licence. The APM Group, who are Best Management Practice's Official Accreditor, administer this activity on behalf of the Cabinet Office. Please contact email@example.com for more information regarding how to apply. Further information relating to officially accredited products and services (including how to achieve accreditation) can be found at www.apmgroupltd.com.
3. Other than in the circumstances set out in 1 and 2 above, the Cabinet Office will only allow use of its Best Management Practice related marks in circumstances where such usage would support its current business objectives. Therefore, any other use of Cabinet Office's Best Management Practice related marks requires written permission from the Cabinet Office and in the first instance you should write setting out the proposed usage to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The Cabinet Office owns and manages a range of Trade Marks in a number of countries around the world. Use of any trade marks must be strictly in accordance with the information provided here.
2. The Trade Marks are the sole property of the Cabinet Office, part of Her Majesty's Government (HMG) in the United Kingdom.
3. The table below shows Cabinet Office's Trade Marks and the applicable acknowledgement statement.
|Cabinet Office Trade Mark Title and symbology||Trade Mark Acknowledgement Statements|
|PRINCE®||"PRINCE® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|PRINCE2®||"PRINCE2® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|ITIL®||"ITIL® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|IT Infrastructure Library®||"IT Infrastructure Library® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|M_o_R®||"M_o_R® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|P3O®||"P3O® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|MSP®||"MSP® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|P3M3®||"P3M3® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|MoV®||"MoV® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
|MoP®||"MoP® is a Registered Trade Mark of the Cabinet Office"|
Cabinet Office Infringements
Please supply your name and contact details and as much information about the possible infringement as you have.