Welcome to CD-ROMs and DVDs Help
System Requirements for DVDs:
CPU Type and Speed: Pentium 11 400 or better
Disc format: DVD-5
Picture format: PAL 4:3
Hard Drive:100 Mb
Compatibility: DVD players, Apple Macs and DVD games consoles (check your computer console for compatibility).
Please note: Windows 8 will not play DVDs. To play the DVDs with Windows 8, you will need to download additional media player software.
For specific DSA DVD and DVD-ROM system requirements, please visit the dedicated help page.
System Requirements for CD-ROMs:
Operating System: Windows 2000/ XP/ Vista/ 7* (Apple Mac and Apple Mac PC Emulators are not supported)
CPU Type and Speed: Pentium 11 400 or better
Hard Drive:100 MB
CD-ROM Speed: 8x or faster
Graphics: 800 x 600 x 16 Bit or higher.
* Please note: The Official DSA Theory Test CDs (for Car Drivers, Motorcyclists and LGV Drivers) valid until January 2012 are compatible with Windows 7.
Frequently Asked Questions
»My DVD says Adobe Air is damaged
Before you can run your disc the current version of
Adobe Air must be
installed on your PC or Mac (included on The Official DSA Car Theory Test
Install Adobe Air from the DVD-ROM:
PC: If you have an earlier version of Adobe AIR than that included on the disc, you will need to run the DSA Car Theory Test Program. Select the 'Start' menu, then ‘Programs’. Select DSA Car Theory Test from the Programs menu. A message will inform you to update your version. Click ‘Update’ to proceed.
Mac users: If you do not have Adobe AIR installed, or if the version you have is an earlier version than that included on this disc, you may see a warning message. Click OK to the message, then open the Resources folder on your disc drive, double-click on the Adobe AIR Installer and follow the on-screen instructions. Once complete, click Finish and you’ll be able to run your DVD-ROM from the disc.
»My DVD skips or just doesn't run.
The Hazard perception is a DVD and will work in a computer, as long as the computer has a DVD-Rom. It is a interactive DVD and will not run through Windows Media Player properly like a standard DVD. To resolve this problem you will need to purchase Interactive DVD player software. WinDVD or CyberLink PowerDVD are the market leaders but there is also a free open source version called VLC Media Player.
»I'm having problems running the software with Windows 8.
Theory Test for car Drivers and Theory Test for Motorcyclists DVD-ROMs: You may find that using the DSAcartheorytest.exe or DSAmotorcycletheorytest.exe files in the root of the disc do not install the DVD-ROM. If this is the case, go into your PC folder and double click on setup.exe instead.
DVDs: Please note: Windows 8 will not play DVDs. To play DVDs using Windows 8, you will need to download media player software.
»I'm using Windows XP and my CD-ROM doesn't run but I don't get an error message.
If you do not encounter an error message but the CD-ROM is not working then the problem could be due to MSXML and Windows Scripting Host. To resolve this problem please:
1. Open 'My Computer' and then right click on the D Drive which has the CD icon. Click on 'Explore'. Find Windows scripting host and double click.
2. You will then get two icons coming up, one will be 'Windows 95, 98' and the other will be 'Windows XP, 2000'. Double click on 'Windows XP, 2000' and follow the instructions to install.
3. Once this is installed please go back on my computer . Right click once on the CD icon. Click on 'Explore.' Find 'MSXML' and double click. Follow the instructions to install.
4. Once this is installed please re-start you computer.
If the disk is still not working; nothing is showing or it is not responding then try performing a Microsoft update. Visit support.microsoft.com (the www dot is ommitted here) and follow instructions.
»I'm using Vista and my CD-ROM doesn't run but I don't get an error message.
If you are using Vista and there is no error message what you are experiencing is probably a Securom related issue. Although DSA make the discs a company called Securom deal with the security side of the disc. To resolve this please:
1. Go on www.securom.com/support.asp and follow the eight simple instructions.
2. Once you have done this it will send off an analysis to Securom. If there are any further problems Securom will contact you directly.
3. Please re-start your computer.
»I'm using Vista and my CD-ROM doesn't run and I keep getting the message 'please insert original disc' or a 'network licence error has occurred'.
This is probably due to a Securom related issue. Please check www.securom.com/support.asp and follow the instructions as above.
»The disc is not working as the screen is either blank, black or white.
If you are using either Vista or Windows XP and the disc is not working as the screen is either blank, black or white then this is probably an issue with Flash Player. It is likely that you are experiencing this problem because you do not have the most up to date Flash Player. Please follow the instructions below to resolve this problem:
1. Go on www.adobe.com and download the most up to date version of flash player free of charge.
2. Once this has downloaded please re-start your computer.