The Impact of UK Overseas Aid on Environmental Protection and Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation
HC 710, Fifth Report of Session 2010-12 - Volume I: Report, Together with Formal Minutes, Oral and Written Evidence
- House of Commons - Environmental Audit Committee
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
'The Impact of UK Overseas Aid on Environmental Protection and Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation (HC 710)' reports the Environmental Audit Committee's belief that the UK should only provide funding for multilateral institutions with strong environmental credentials.
The current scale of the World Bank's lending to fossil fuel powered energy generation is unacceptable and the Committee urges the Government to be prepared to vote against new World Bank funding for high emissions coal-fired power stations.
The profile of climate change has increased hugely but there is far less awareness of the importance of protecting biodiversity and ecosystems. The Committee believes that the Department for International Development (DFID) needs to publish a clear strategy on its approach to environmental issues to ensure that it gives them sufficient priority in its programmes and expenditure.
Every effort must be made to help emerging economies leap-frog fossil fuels and fuel their growth with clean energy instead. High levels of consumption in the UK increases demand on production in poor countries which leads to degradation of their natural resources.
The report calls on the UK Government to ensure that economic activity in Britain does not cancel out, or even reverse, the positive impact that UK aid is having overseas.
|Format||Paperback||Published||29 Jun 2011|
|Availability||Colour copy: 3 - 5 days||Delivery||Delivery options and charges|
Find similar publications here:
- Business & Finance
- Business & Finance > Taxation
- Environment > Energy & Resources
- Environment > Environmental Engineering & Management
- International Affairs & Defence > Overseas Aid
- Parliamentary > House of Commons Papers
- Parliamentary > Select Committees
- Environment > Climate Change
- Environment > Waste Management & Pollution
- Official > House of Commons Papers
- Parliamentary Committees > Commons Select Committees
- Parliamentary Committees > Commons Select Committees > Environmental Audit Committee