HC 614, Fifth Report of Session 2010-12 - Report, Together with Formal Minutes, Oral and Written Evidence
- House of Commons - Welsh Affairs Committee
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
'S4C (HC 614)' reports on the proposed changes to S4C's (Channel 4 Wales) funding and governance by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) following the 2010 'Comprehensive Spending Review'.
The Committee says a deal over S4C's future was struck in "regrettable haste" by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) and Ministers, and that more detail should be given on the proposed funding and governance arrangements for the broadcaster.
Nevertheless, the Committee argues that the proposed deal should result in synergies and cost savings for both broadcasters.
With studies estimating that S4C is responsible for sustaining over 2,000 jobs in Wales and contributing £90-100 million to the Welsh economy, it is crucial that S4C continues to independently commission its programming from production companies based in Wales, rather than additional programming being supplied to the channel by the BBC.
Under the Government's proposed arrangements, S4C's funding will shift from being provided by a direct grant from DCMS to funding through the BBC's licence fee.
While it is essential that the DCMS, the BBC and S4C work together to achieve potential synergies and efficiencies, this must not detract from S4C's independence. The DCMS and the BBC must guarantee S4C's funding and ensure that S4C receives in full its allocated portion of the licence fee.
The Committee also argues for an enhanced role for the National Assembly for Wales in holding the S4C Authority to account for its performance and for a wider review of the purpose and remit of the broadcaster.
|Format||Paperback||Published||11 May 2011|
|Availability||Colour copy: 3 - 5 days||Delivery||Delivery options and charges|
Find similar publications here:
- Business & Finance > Consumer Protection
- Business & Finance > Information, Media & Communication
- International Affairs & Defence > Defence
- Parliamentary > Command Papers
- Parliamentary > House of Commons Papers
- Parliamentary > Select Committees
- Official > Command Papers
- Official > House of Commons Papers
- Parliamentary Committees > Commons Select Committees
- Parliamentary Committees > Commons Select Committees > Welsh Affairs Committee