The Modernisation of Higher Education in Europe
HL 275, Twenty Seventh Report of Session 2010-12
- House of Lords - European Union Committee
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
'The Modernisation of Higher Education in Europe (HL 275)' examines the EU's contribution to the modernisation of European higher education, including the role of the separate Bologna Process. It calls on the Government to overcome the UK's lack of mobility culture by making language learning compulsory in primary and secondary schools.
Coupled with financial, socio-economic and cultural barriers, the Social Policies and Consumer Protection EU Sub-Committee warns that the UK's future participation in mobility programmes, such as the EU's Erasmus scheme, cannot be assured.
The Committee also calls on the Government to ensure the continuation of the domestic Erasmus fee waiver scheme and support the proposed development of the EU Masters-level student loan guarantee facility. Both of these measures will help more students, and those who are disadvantaged in particular.
Other recommendations made by the Committee include:
Encouraging the Government and universities to take full advantage of the opportunities provided through engagement with the EU and Bologna Process, including greater university-business collaboration and widening participation.
Allocating a bigger proportion of EU funds to research, innovation and education in order to assist the EU's long-term economic recovery.
Encouraging the Government to "remain vigilant" about retaining the UK's higher education sector's competitive position as a destination of choice for many students from other parts of Europe and beyond, particularly following the increase in tuition fees.
Not making the Commission's proposal for the introduction of the new university ranking system, U-Multirank, a priority.
|Format||Paperback||Published||22 Mar 2012|
|Availability||Colour copy: 3 - 5 days||Delivery||Delivery options and charges|
Find similar publications here:
- Medicine & Health > Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Medicine & Health > Health Services & Systems > General Practice & Opticians
- Parliamentary Committees > Lords Select Committees > EU Select Committee
- Parliamentary Committees > Lords Select Committees
- International Affairs & Defence > Europe & European Institutions
- International Publications > European Union
- Medicine & Health > Health Services & Systems > Hospitals
- Parliamentary > House of Lords Papers
- Medicine & Health